Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Decisions, decisions

I am facing a very difficult decision. I can't exactly discuss it in such a public forum (I'm kidding myself. No one reads this thing), but I hate to take the chance and have this particular decision that I'm trying to make made for me.

It's a tough enough decision that I know I will probably face some serious moments of regret after I make it, and I will definitely face some serious public disapproval. So that being said, I need some advice and hopefully you can wade through the vagueness that I'm about to embark on, and give me some help. Please.

Let's say I have this car. It's a nice car and people are always telling me how lucky I am to have such a good car. And it is reliable and safe and provides me with the wonderful benefits that go along with having a nice car.

But, since the first day I had this car, I felt discontented with it. I felt that maybe God was calling me to get rid of it. I hadn't really wanted such a fancy car in the the first place but getting it just fell into place. Now, though, I feel that every time I drive that car I lose all feelings of happiness. My brain begins to numb and my will to live wanes. It's a terrible feeling, but it goes away as soon as get out of the car.

So, now I feel that perhaps I should get rid of the car, but I do not plan on getting another car in its place. I would instead do other things I enjoyed doing that I could never do when I was saddled to that awful car. Like umm...(I don't know to fit this in my allegory so I'll just say it)volunteer.

My husband's car is good enough that we would be okay without mine. Some days it might be difficult (or more difficult than it has been) but other days I just sense how marvelous it would be to be car-free.

I realize this allegory is very one-sided, obviously I want people to tell me to ditch the car and do what I think God might be telling me to do. So I'll throw this out there: If I ditch the car now, I lose many marvelous benefits that it entails...like air conditioning. And that air-conditioning my come in very, very handy down the road.

So I don't think you should ask God to give you signs, but in this case I did. I asked God for a specific thing to happen so I would know that yes, I'm hearing him right. He wants me to ditch the car and do something a bit more risky. Anyhow, He obviously didn't like my choice of sign and didn't dignify it with an answer.

So now I turn to my two readers. If you made it through that ridiculous allegory, please tell me what you think. Otherwise I am never posting again. Then you'll be sorry! Ha!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm no mechanic, but it seems to me that if you gave up the car and took up walking, but then you became unhappy with all the walking and regretted giving up the car, it's not like you can never buy another one. It's not like this is the only car you can ever drive. Plus, God never said everyone must have a car. Who knows? Maybe he'll surprise you with a bike.

Devi said...

Maybe he wants you to get a camel. Is that what he used? Can't remember now.

Hannah Hall said...

I wouldn't mind a donkey, really.

Amy said...

Love the new design. :)

Unknown said...

I think that you should quit your job. Oh wait, this post is two years old isn't it. Nevermind.