Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Musings of an Underworked Mind

So I started a new position at my job this week. I guess it means I'll be posting less since I now have a boss who actually requires that I accomplish something. I really don't post all that much as it is, but for you 1.5 people who are actually reading this, I'm afraid you're just going to have to lighten up and stop expecting so much from me.

Josh is in Orlando this week on a business trip. He claims via phone that he misses me terribly, but I suspect that he is very much enjoying smoozing with the rich people. He's manning a booth at a surfwear trade show where he talks business with companies the likes of Bilabong and Speedo and Body Glove (which I laughed at, and he quickly informed me that they no longer make the neon pink and green shorts my brothers used to wear, but have instead very wisely focused on producing wet suits.)

He challenges other businessmen to rounds of ping-pong at a nearby booth during his breaks, and goes out for Lobster and Sushi with clients in the evening. They talk about things like Rip Stop and purchase orders and the new board short design. He swims in the hotel pool later to exercise his poor, overworked muscles, and then relaxes in front of his cable television and complimentary mini bar. It has been a tiring but satisfying day, and tomorrow he must go back and do it all over again.

Meanwhile...

I start to drool at my desk as I have lost all touch with reality.
The Boredom has come again, spurred on by concepts like Cable Pairs and Drop Sites and CILI Codes (pronounced "Silly" Codes, and has something to do with the location of a telephone line in relation to the main office and, incidentally, is about as silly as my work gets.) I have a brief fantasy about fighting off a masked gunman who hijacks our office. I perform marvelously in my fantasy and disarm him even after sustaining a major gunshot wound to the arm. I may never use that appendage again, but darn it, it was a good way to go.

When I return from my 15-year-old-boy-like daydream, I am morbidly disappointed to see that my arm is still functioning, and therefore I have no good excuse for going home early today. I am depressed and have only Silly Codes to entertain me.

But really... honestly... I have to think positively.

Josh's hotel roommate snores. And I have the bed to myself.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Uh, NEW POST.